Relationship between headteachers' leadership styles and teaching staff discipline in secondary schools in Mbale District, Uganda
DISSERTATION: Teaching staff discipline plays a significant role in school demonstration. A study on the relationship between leadership styles of headteachers and the teaching staff discipline was carried out in selected secondary schools in Mbale district. The study aimed at establishing the relationship between three leadership styles namely democratic, autocratic and laissez faire leadership style and the teaching staff discipline in the secondary schools. The study adopted a survey research design in which interviews and questionnaires were used to collect data from headteachers, deputy headteachers and teachers in selected secondary schools. A total of 116 respondents participated in this study. The results of the study indicate that headteachers adopt at least one or more leadership style in the management of the school. Out of the three leadership styles, democratic leadership style is predominantly employed by the majority of the headteachers in secondary schools in this area. It was also noted that there is a positive relationship between democratic and autocratic leadership styles and the teaching staff discipline in the secondary schools. However, the relationship account for only 17% of the variance in the teaching staff discipline. The remaining 83% is accounted for by other factors. It is concluded that the leadership style employed by headteachers in the management of secondary schools in Mbale district has a positive relationship to the teaching staff discipline. The democratic leadership style is predominant and greatly accounts for 17% of the variance in the teaching staff discipline in the secondary schools. The study recommends that headteachers should endeavor to use democratic leadership style in their management process. Also, further research could be done to assess the factors that account for the 83% in the teaching staff discipline in the secondary schools in Mbale district.
- Thesis and Dissertations